When I eat out I’d like it to be special, consequently I don?t eat out often. You might have seen the advice on how exactly to shave calories at restaurants but really, do you need to pay high restaurant prices for undressed salads and plain steamed vegetables? Or even, how then is it possible to solve the dilemma of too many calories when you eat out?
Here are seven tips for obtaining the calories out of restaurant meals while still ordering your favorites.
1. Say NO to super sizing. The size you ordered has already been too large. Stop super sizing and you also?ll save money. On top of that, order one dinner and ask for a supplementary plate. Many restaurants can do this for a dollar or two, also it?s well worth it. Then share the meal with your friend and you split the price straight down the center. Another option would be to order from the so called ?appetizer? menu. Two different people could order three entrees, one dessert and split the whole thing and it?s still a ton of food!
2. Skip the bread and rolls. Many family restaurants still serve a bread basket with your meal. Unless it?s a fresh baked loaf or some really special bread, just skip it. You don?t have to fill on ordinary bread once you?re paying good money for meals. Just ask for it to be taken away if you can?t resist, but in all honesty, you?re an adult, you can resist, if you need to. You can simply choose not to put a roll on your plate. Try it, just once and see in the event that you don?t walk out of that restaurant feeling strangely powerful.
If you can?t miss the rolls, at least miss the butter. That?s right. Eat it plain. Whole grain bread is delicious all by itself.
3. Stop Ordering Drinks. Carbonated drinks certainly are a huge cash cow for restaurants. For pennies they sell you a squirt of syrup and carbonated water and act like they?re doing you a big favor by only charging you $1.29 for a giant 64 ounce soda. Start saving those dollars. Especially if you?re ordering ?to go? skip the drink. If you?re eating it there, require water, or at least switch to diet drinks. Never drink ?fat pop.?
4. Slow Down You Eat Too Fast! What?s the rush? Invest some time, savor the moment, enjoy the flavors. A big part of phoning your hunger signals and learning to eat what really will satisfy is learning to recognize the subtle signs of hunger. You won?t know when you?re approaching satisfaction if you?ve gobbled everything down in five minutes. Have a bite then notice how many times do you chew before you begin attempting to swallow? Once, twice? Try to chew your food as well as your body will be much happier. A very large section of digestion begins in the mouth area, not forgetting you?ll get much more pleasure if you let the food linger.
5. Trim Visible Fat and Skin. I know, you really love the skin?of course you do, it tastes good, it should, it?s pure fat. Do you wish to get leaner, or would you like to eat fat? You select. I never eat chicken skin rather than eat the visible fat hanging off a steak, good taste or no. You should decide what you would like more, the second?s worth of pleasure of a yummy taste, or perhaps a lifetime of carrying around a supplementary 40 lbs? I know this is counter to the reduced carb crowd?s belief that fat is good, carbs are evil, but I?ve maintained an 80 pound weight reduction for 18 years without dieting and I don?t eat visible fat or skin. Enough said.
6. Ask for a Doggie Bag at the start of Meal. Once the food is served, immediately portion off some to collect for tomorrow. Most restaurants in the US serve way too much. There is absolutely no law you must eat it all. Do that frequently and soon you?ll find you?re getting an extra lunch out of this meal.
7. Get a copy of Restaurant Confidential by Michael F. Jacobson and Jayne Hurley, and begin checking out how many calories you?re really eating. If you eat out frequently and you also carry additional weight, then that?s most likely the problem there. This little book will let you realize why it seems you don?t eat that much yet it is possible to?t lose any weight. Hardees recently introduced a new burger that clocks in at only under 1200 calories simply by itself! Now that?s frightening.
If you really want to get a handle on your bodyweight problem, look first to where you take in, second at what you eat, and third how much you take in. Where, What and How Much? Try these steps choosing one tip at the same time, and see how easily it is possible to take some of the calories out of restaurant food.